Work for us
Any job opportunities at Finance Watch will be listed below. We discourage unsolicited applications as we are unable to respond to them.
If you are interested in an internship, please fill out this form. We will contact the most suitable candidates when the need for an intern arises.
Senior Research and Advocacy officer
Expertise: Sustainable Finance
Publication Date: 04/04/2017
Finance Watch, the Brussels-based public interest advocacy association dedicated to making finance serve society, is looking for a senior sustainable finance expert to support its efforts in developing an agenda to align the financial system with societal objectives.
The role combines research and advocacy tasks. The successful candidate will have proven experience of working in (or with) the financial sector and a good understanding of the European policymaking environment. The candidate will also be able to demonstrate an understanding of how the financial system relates to sustainability goals (e.g. SDGs, COP21), along with the ability to work at a European and global policy level; the candidate should be familiar with recent policy and other initiatives in the field of sustainable finance such as UNEP Inquiry, FSB task force, EC HLEG, etc.
The position is based at our offices in the European quarter in Brussels.
- Collect evidence and data, coordinate and produce research, delivering formats adapted to audiences with different levels of expertise, respond to consultations and other solicitations from the EU institutions as well as from EU member states in your area of expertise
- Contribute to coordinating work with FW members and strengthening cooperation between member organisations
- Contribute to engaging a diverse group of stakeholders via various channels (bilateral contacts, workshops, social media, etc.) on the issues at stake, including policymakers, journalists, civil society representatives, experts and academics
- Contribute to Finance Watch’s efforts to engage a wide audience on the issues at stake
- Lead advocacy efforts in your area of expertise, including specific legislative recommendations
- Present your work and represent Finance Watch in public
Profile / Qualifications
- Be committed to Finance Watch’s mission.
- Relevant post-graduate and/or professional qualification, preferably with some focus on financial and environmental regulation or policy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Knowledge of additional languages will be an asset.
- Minimum five years working experience in the area of finance and sustainability, preferably with some policy / advocacy experience.
- Proven ability to write on financial reform issues for audiences with various levels of expertise as well as to coordinate contributions coming from Finance Watch’s Members and other partners.
- Combine subject knowledge in key areas of finance with interest and ability in working in close collaboration with Finance Watch Members as well as a broader group of civil society organisations, policymakers, academics and pioneers in sustainable business and finance.
- Results-oriented and self-motivated.
- Strong team player.
- A full-time permanent contract with a competitive package (salary, fringe benefits and extra-legal paid leave).
- A multidisciplinary and multicultural working environment.
- High exposure to a large and diverse set of stakeholders.
- Opportunity to influence the international agenda on sustainability and finance
Equal employment opportunity
Finance Watch is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, regardless of sex, marital status, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation and any other characteristics unrelated to the performance of the job.
Selection will be in accordance with objective, job related criteria and the appointment will be on the basis of applicants’ merits and abilities.
Your application should include the following documents:
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A short motivation letter answering to the following questions:
- What are the main reasons that motivate you to work for Finance Watch?
- What are your main achievements?
Any incomplete application will be disregarded.
Interviews will take place in Brussels, starting as soon as possible.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: 30 April 2017