Finance Watch Conference on Sustainable Finance
Accelerating EU leadership in sustainable finance
Building financial systems for a sustainable future
Finance Watch invites you to a half-day conference on accelerating the EU's leadership in sustainable finance, as the Commission’s High-Level Expert Group on Sustainable Finance (HLEG) prepares its final report.
Registration is now closed. Donations in support of the event can be made at this link until 17 Deceber 2017.
With keynote speeches from:
Oliver Guersent, Director General of DG FISMA, European Commission
Jean-Pascal van Ypersele, Professor of Environmental Sciences at Université catholique de Louvain
and panel discussions on:
- Getting a sustainable economy off the ground - what are the obstacles to carbon pricing?
- A just transition - how to harness the redistributive potential of building a green economy?
- Beyond the HLEG - what should the Commission do next?
09:00 Welcome from Benoît Lallemand, Secretary General of Finance Watch
09:10 Keynote from Oliver Guersent, Director General of DG FISMA, European Commission
09:25 Keynote from Jean-Pascal van Ypersele, Professor of Environmental Sciences at Université catholique de Louvain – “The low carbon transition path”
09:55 Discussion panel: Getting a sustainable economy off the ground
What are the obstacles to carbon pricing? How are stranded assets affected? How do we get to a higher carbon price? What is missing from the EU’s ETS? What would a carbon border tax achieve? Can internal/shadow carbon pricing do the job? Success stories
- Pierre-Emmanuel Noel, Senior Banker, European Investment Bank
- Anthony Hobley, Chief Executive Officer, Carbon Tracker Initiative
- Dr Luca Taschini, LSE Grantham Institute and University of Verona
- Peter Sweatman, CEO of Climate Strategy
Moderator: Mireille Martini, Senior Research and Advocacy Officer, Finance Watch
11:00 Discussion panel: A just transition
The low carbon transition opens the path of energy for all; what is the upside potential for jobs and communities; the opportunity to challenge abuses of nature and local economies; what is the role of communities, government, pension funds, impact investors?
- Myriam Vander Stichele, Senior Researcher at SOMO, HLEG member
- Andrea Baranes, President of Fondazione Finanza Etica
- Anne-Catherine Husson-Traore, CEO of Novethic, HLEG
- Sharan Burrow, General Secretary of the International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC)
Moderator: Sophie Robinson-Tillett, Deputy Editor, Responsible Investor
11.45 Discussion panel: Beyond the HLEG – what EU policy agenda?
What should the Commission do next? Green bond standards, green and brown prudential rules, fiduciary rules, ESG labelling, redirecting retail investment, updating EU institutions
- Paul Tang MEP (S&D, NL)
- Sven Giegold MEP (Greens, DE)
- Felicia Stanescu, Head of Financial Services Policy and International Affairs unit, DG FISMA, European Commission
- Sebastian Godinot, Economist, WWF European Policy Office
Moderator: James Vaccaro, Triodos
12.30 Concluding remarks by Benoît Lallemand
12:45 Lunch and networking
Venue: The Square, Brussels
(entrance to "The Arc" room is via Coudenberg 3, 1000, Brussels)
6 December 2017, 09:00 – 13:00